LOLER lifting regulations require a regular, thorough examination. These regulations apply to all organisations whose employees use lifting equipment, whether owned by them or not. Regulations place the responsibility of ensuring a competent, qualified person inspects lifts on the lift owner or site manager.
Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998: LOLER Thorough Examination
LOLER thorough examinations or lift inspections are required by law to improve health and safety and reduce the risk of accidents due to faulty or un-serviced lifts.
Some of the LOLER Lift Inspection Regulations Include:
- Duty holders are responsible for ensuring that lifts are examined at statutory intervals
- LOLER inspections must be carried out every 6 months for passenger lifts or 12 months for goods lifts to ensure they are safe to use.
- Lifts and hoists used to lift people or loads must be examined by a ‘competent person’.
- Any defects or faults with lifting equipment must be remedied promptly.
- Accurate records and documentation must be kept and made available.
Independent LOLER Inspections Thorough Examinations
Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998: PUWER Inspection
Whilst LOLER thorough examinations act in a similar way to a car MOT, PUWER inspections cover the maintenance and servicing of a lift, just like servicing a car.
Some of the PUWER Regulations Include:
- Placing the responsibility of maintaining machinery, such as lifting equipment, with companies who own, operate, or control the machinery.
- Regular maintenance of work equipment to upkeep a safe condition.
- Equipment inspections to detect faults and improve health and safety.
- Proper health and safety measurements being in place in the event of equipment failure.
- Lift maintenance is restricted to those with full training and qualifications.
Our associates have maintained and serviced lifts to PUWER standards throughout the UK for more than 25 years. Having received extensive training, they are fully competent to ensure your lifts examined effectively. As one of the UK’s leading independent lift consultancies, Hemsworth Associates can offer you skilled service, extensive experience and very competitive rates. Contact Hemsworth Associates now for more information or a quote.